Monday 26 November 2012

Been a while...

It's been a while since I posted. I figured instead of posting about each and every class which would be - let's face it - a bit of a task, I'll just reduce the granularity a bit and post less regularly and keep things on a higher level.

It's been nearly a month since I started on my Ki Aikido journey. Lots of little things I've noticed:

  • I've had less of a need to remain medicated. Yes, I've been on Lexapro for almost three years now, trying to get rid of the constant depression that has been haunting me for years. Since training for a few weeks now I've been able to start tapering off on my medication. It has all kinds of negative side effects which I could do without. The general feeling of improved spirit seems to be fighting my depression.
  • My body is responding to the training physically. I can already feel slight improvements in posture, movement seems to come a bit more easily and freely.
  • Weight loss. This is a biggie for me - pun intended. Ive always been stocky, even when I was far below 100k's I was still a 2XL. The last rough few years have really taken its toll on my body. Before training I was rocking a 135.7kg's. Now I've started making changes and recording my weight weekly to see if things are improving, and I am glad to say that so far my weight has gone down by 600grams. Slowly but surely. As I progress I'll surely add more activity and my weight loss will speed up.
As far as training goes - classes have started getting a bit more active. Previously I think we spent more time as new starters getting our heads around the basics, now we are spending more time working on techniques, which causes this old unfit body of mine to wonder what the hell is going on!

Author - 6th kyu and note the brand new dogi
 I also managed to find a dogi that fits this "unique physique" of mine. The one provided by my Sensei just didn't fit quite well (also its more suited to Karate than Aikido), so I had to hunt around a bit for a place that sold dogi's of different cuts to try on. In my hunting for a place that sells good quality gear I ended up at a place just down the road from where I live - Aussie Power. This is a business run from a house, initially I thought it was going to be a waste of time, but I am so glad I stumbled upon this little gem. The owner Abdul originally from Pakistan was extremely helpful and friendly, he presented me with two sized and I fitted one then and there and straight out of the pack it was a perfect fit! Good quality materials and fit. The whole dogi including belt was $50! I ended up buying two - one to train in, one for the washing. Check out his stock at Aussie Power - highly recommended.


No comments:

Post a Comment